The following race rules apply to all competitors in either the 100km Kona Odyssey or the 50km Kona Shorty:
- Competitors must start and finish the full course on a non-motorised bicycle.
- Competitors must ride the complete course as marked and directed, passing through all checkpoints on your course. Taking shortcuts or using any unfair means of obtaining an advantage over other competitors will result in disqualification. It is the rider’s responsibility to ensure that the correct course is followed
- All competitors must wear a certified bike helmet at ALL times.
- Individual competitors must use only one bike frame for the entire ride, although wheel changes are permissible in the designated support area inside the Forrest Festival.
- If female competitors in the 100km race wish to be eligible for cash prize money (including the Queen of the Mountain and Timed Descent) they MUST start in the elite womens field start at 6.45am. Competitors wishing to race in this category must notify Rapid Ascent at registration.
- In order to win either the King or Queen of the Mountain or Timed Descent, a rider must also complete the entire distance of the race entered .
- All competitors must carry the listed compulsory equipment for the entire race.
- Failure to carry the required First Aid Kit will result in a 20 minute time penalty
- Riders who withdraw at any time after the start must advise a marshal of their withdrawal immediately.
- Race numbers must be displayed on the handlebars at all times and cannot be modified or cut down in size in any way.
- Riders may accept mechanical assistance on the course only by other registered racers, designated race officials and the specified race mechanic as long as it does not result in assisted forward progression. Outside assistance from anyone else may only be provided on the playing surface of the Forrest Football Ground.
- One competitor cannot provide assistance in forward progression (pushing / pulling / towing) or food or drinks to another competitor in another category except in emergency circumstances.
- For the Kona Odyssey 100km race, cut-off times at two key points will be strictly enforced as listed below:
- Australian Road Rules apply at all times on all roads, tracks and trails.
- Only registered riders, marshals or officials may ride on the course.
- Failure to abide by these rules may result in a time penalty or disqualification.
- Rapid Ascent has sole discretion to alter or amend the race format or the rules in order to increase the safety of participants or for any other reason deemed appropriate.
- All protests must be lodged with the Race Director within 15 minutes of the official results being posted. A judging panel of three (including the race director) will adjudicate on all protests and other contentious matters, and their decision will be final.
- If the race is cancelled or called off after it has started, it is each rider’s responsibility to get themselves back to either the Start or Finish areas as soon as you have been notified of the cancellation.
Cut Off Times
For the Kona Odyssey 100km race, cut-off times at two key points will be strictly enforced as follows:
- Riders cannot head into the Shotz Super Loop after Check Point 2 (the 38km point) after 11:00am. Such riders may skip this section and continue from checkpoint 4 (65km point) as unranked competitors.
- Riders cannot head into the final loop after Check Point 4 (65km point) after 2:00pm.