Race #2: Sunday July 28th, 2013
Pre event schedule:
Thursday July 18th
Number plates for all entries received up until 5:00pm on Wednesday July 17th are posted to competitors
Sunday July 28th
7:00am Race registration opens
8:30am Race registration closes
9:00am LONG COURSE - runners start (provisional time)
9:05am SHORT COURSE - FAST PACE runners start (provisional time)
9:10am SHORT COURSE - LEISURELY PACE runners start (provisonal time)
9:15am MEDIUM COURSE - runners race starts (provisional time)
9:50am Expected long course race winners cross the line
11:00am Short course closes
11:15am Race presentations and spot prize giveaways
11:30am Long course closes and event complete
Event centre and race finish line: Yellow Gum Park, at the end of Goldsworthy Rd, Plenty
Directions to get to Yellow Gum Park: Depending on where you are coming from, navigate yourself to Greensborough and the Greensborough Highway heading North East towards Hurstbridge. Continue along the Diamond Creek Rd and then turn left onto Yan Yean Rd and left onto Memorial Rd at Plenty. Goldsworthy Lane turns off to the left and the start / finish area is in the picnic area at the end of the road. (If you are navigating via Google maps put in ‘Yellow Gum Park’ rather than ‘Plenty Gorge’ to go to the right location).
Distance from the Melbourne CBD: 30km and 42mins according to Google maps.
Car parking and access to the event: Event parking will be in the large grassy clearing adjacent the picnic area at the end of Goldsworthy Rd. Please follow the signs and directions of marshals when you arrive.
The centre and start / finish area for the event will be at the Yellow Gum Park where the following services and facilities will be set up:
- Race registration and information marquee
- Sponsors’ stands including displays by Salomon and their retail partner Footpro plus other sponsors
- Optimus Health pre race warm up centre includuing physios, strapper and massage therapists (free to competitors)
- A hydration / nutrition point will be set up with water and sports drink available
- Bag storage area for runners clothing during the race
- Music and commentary on the race finish
- Coffee will be available from a mobile coffee van for a caffeine hit and the Greensborough Rotary Club will be conducting a fundraising BBQ at the picnic area to provide runners or friends and family with a late breakfast / brunch before, during and after the race.
The following competitor services will be available during the event:
- Bag storage: We will store your bags under cover and keep an eye over them whilst you’re out on the trails. Please drop your bags off to the race registration marquee at least 5-10 minutes before your race start. Make sure all items are in a closed bag and do not leave us with any valuables. Items will be stored with all care but no responsibility.
- Course Photographers: We will have a professional photographer out on the course during the races to capture you in all your trail running glory. All photos will be uploaded to the event website where they can be perused and purchased.
- Drink stations: There will be a drink station set up at the 6.3km point on the long course which will have water and isotonic drink. (There will be no water point on the short course). There will also be a drink station at the finish line.
Number plates and timing tags
All competitors are required to wear their race number plate whilst running in the race.
- Your number plate will have a small timing tag stuck to the back of it so we can record your start and finish time. This tag looks just like a strip of foam, so please DO NOT remove it from your number plate otherwise you will not get an official result.
- All runners must safety pin your unique number plate to the front of the shirt you wear during the run so it is easily visible from the front when you are running.
- Gold number plates denote runners who have entered a minimum of 3 races in the 2013 Salomon Trail Running Series. Green number plates denote runners doing race #2 only.
- If you have a Gold number plate and are doing all races in the series please KEEP YOUR NUMBER PLATE and timing tag and use it for race #3 and #4 as well. We will not be re-issuing number plates to series runners. If you forget to bring your gold number plate to the next race, there will be a fee for issuing another plate and timing chip.
Number plate collection
- Competitors who entered Race #2 (or the series) before 5:00pm Wednesday July 17th will receive their event number plate in the post before the event. If you are going to be away from home or if you have not received it in the post by Thursday July 25th then please call the Rapid Ascent office on (03) 5261 5511
- Competitors who enter Race #2 after 5:00pm Wednesday July 17th must collect their event number plate on race morning, Sunday July 28th between 7:00am and 8:45am (sharp) – from the race registration marquee at Yellow Gum Park.
Once you have received your number plate (either via post or collection) then you do not need to ‘report in’ or register at the event venue on race morning, just warm up and then arrive at the start line ready to race!
Entries will be accepted on the day if you have any friends who have not entered yet.
Series entrant FREE race t-shirts
Series Runners are runners who have entered at least 3 of the 4 races held as part of the 2013 Salomon Trail Running Series and are entitled to a few additional benefits:
- Free race t-shirts: All series runners receive a free Salomon High Performance event t-shirt as part of your entry fee. If you did not collect your shirt at Race #1 please come and collect your series t-shirt by presenting your golden number plate at the race registration marquee at the finish line.
- Salomon Water Bottle: Please also collect your free Salomon Water Bottle (if you did not collect it at Race #1) from the race registration marquee (first 500 series entries only)
Long course: 17.6km. 526m elevation gain / loss
Medium course: 11.7km. 304m elevation gain / loss
Short Course: 6.6km. 256m elevation gain / loss
(These distances have been measured via a combination of GPS and bike computer. We welcome anyone carrying a GPS watch to send us their gps files after the race so we can be more accurate next time)
Start line location: All runners start in the fenced off start chute adjacent to the Yellow Gum park picnic area
Start times: will be advised nearer the race date but may include wave starts for each race distance
Additional points about the start:
- Irrespective of which start you are in we encourage all runners to be realistic about your speed and place yourself in the line-up for the start accordingly, with fast runners at the front of the start group and slower runners at the back of their start group
- We will have a timing mat at the actual start line so your race time and the race results will be recorded from when you actually cross the start line, not (necessarily) when the gun goes
- 6.6km short course: There will be one water points on the short course that will be located approximately at the 3km point.
- 11.7km medium course: There will one water point on the medium course that will be located at the 6.5km at the top of a short, steep hill where you turn right at a clearing.
- 17km long course: There will two water point on the long course that will be located at the 6.6km and 14km points of the race.
- There will be water and some sport hydration products available at the finish line (in addition to food/coffee... from the mobile coffee carts at the event)
Trail running events are quite different to road running events in that they do require you to look and think a bit about where you are going because, not only will you pass through some lovely wilderness, but you need to KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR COURSE MARKINGS. Trail running courses are not lined with fences or red and white flagging tape the whole way and will not have a marshal every 10m ready to hand you a drink and direct you where to go every step of the way - you need to keep an eye out for and follow the course markings to make your way around.
Having said that, if you have your head up and are looking where you are going the course will be easy to find and will be marked as follows:
The Long Course will be marked with:
- red and/or orange arrows (pegged into the ground)
- fluoro pink coloured plastic surveyor’s tape (tied to trees or bushes)
- and with white flour arrows marked on the ground
The Medium Course will be marked with:
- green arrows (pegged into the ground)
- fluoro white coloured plastic surveyor’s tape (tied to trees or bushes)
- and with white flour arrows marked on the ground
The Short Course will be marked with:
- blue arrows (pegged into the ground)
- fluoro yellow coloured plastic surveyor’s tape (tied to trees or bushes)
- and with white flour arrows marked on the ground
All track intersections will be clearly marked and care should be taken to follow the arrows. Surveyor’s tape will be placed immediately following a track junction to confirm you are on the correct track. Track markings on the longer, straighter sections, where there are no other options or intersections, will be far more spread out so take your time at the intersections to make sure you are on the right track. Unless otherwise marked or directed, competitors should follow the most major track at all intersections. If there is no arrow at a minor track junction then continue along the major track.
Public Transport: Although V/Line trains do service Macedon station seven days a week, there are no services early enough to get competitors to the location prior to race start (plus, additional transport is needed from the station to Mount Macedon). Car pooling it is, then...
Parks Vic webpage on Yellow Gum Park
- Presentations for 1st, 2nd and 3rd in each category will be made at the race finish line at 11:15am in Yellow Gum Park. (Refer to the prizes page for a list of the categories and prizes available)
- A range of additional spot prizes and give aways will also be presented at 11:00am
The event program for the 2012 Salomon Trail Running Series RACE #2 can be downloaded from here and contains all the updated text from the website plus additional maps, car parking and course details. An updated version for 2013 will be uploaded 2 weeks before.