Listed below is the schedule for the 2014 Giant Odyssey. 2015 times will be updated prior to entries opening.
Sunday 27th April 2014
|2:00pm - 6:00pm
Competitor registration (for 15km, 50km and 100km races) opens at the Forrest Football Ground.
PLEASE NOTE: YOU DO NOT HAVE TO ATTEND REGISTRATION YOURSELF. SOMEONE ELSE MAY COLLECT YOUR NUMBER PLATE FOR YOU.
Any riders under 18 years of age must have a parent orguardian sign an indemnity form when collecting number plates.
||Sponsors expo opens, food available and bike servicing available at the Forrest Football Ground.
Sunday 27th April, 2014 - TBC
||Late Registration schedule
||Late registration for 100km riders at the Forrest Football Ground (by prior arrangement only)
||100km start procedure
||100km elite women gather at the start line on Yaugher Rd for competitor briefing
||100km Giant Odyssey elite women start - on Yaugher Rd
||100km riders gather on Football Ground for a competitor briefing
||100km Giant Odyssey race start - for all riders (except elite females) on Yaugher Rd
||50km start procedure
||Late registration for 50km riders at Forrest Football Ground.
||50km riders gather on the Football Ground for a competitor briefing
||50km Giant Shorty race start for all riders on Yaugher Rd
||Leading 100km riders expected to enter the footy ground at the 38km point
||Leading 50km riders expected to enter the footy ground at the 25km point
||Festivities at the Forrest Football ground start
||Leading 100km riders expected to enter the footy ground at the 64km point
||Winning 50km rider expected to cross the finish line
||Winning 100km rider expected to cross the finish line
||Registration for Giant Pioneer 15km race
||Giant Pioneer 15km race starts on Yaugher Rd, approx. 300m past the intersection of Kents Rd and Yaugher Rd
||Giant Pioneer 15km - first competitor finishes.
||Race Presentations on the Forrest Football Ground
Forrest Festival closes
Forrest Football Ground – start and finish line for all races
The Forrest Football Ground is located on Yaugher Road, 1.5km north of the township of Forrest and hosts the following features of the event:
- Race registration on Friday afternoon and evening
- Start line for the 100km Giant Odyssey, 50km Giant Shorty and 15km Giant Pioneer
- Finish line for all events - the 100km, 50km and 15km
- Forrest Festival and Bike Industry Expo providing food, drinks, kids entertainment, live music and much more, for riders’ families and the general public
- Intermediary 38km, 65km points for 100km riders and 25km point for 50km riders being the only location where riders may receive external assistance from support crews
- Race presentations at 3.30pm
Forrest is located approximately 2hrs from Melbourne with the quickest route being via Geelong and Winchelsea. Forrest is a 40 minute drive from Apollo Bay and 25 minutes from Colac.
NOTE: The 100km course does NOT START IN APOLLO BAY (as was the case prior to 2013)
CAR PARKING, ROAD CLOSURES AND TRAFFIC
As the 100km course starts and finishes in Forrest, parking in the township and the footy ground will be put under severe pressure. In order to keep traffic flowing we ask you to please follow the guidelines below:
- 100km riders are asked to park in the ‘Barwon Water’ parking area on the eastern side of the football ground.
- 50km riders are asked to park in the ‘Pony Club’ parking areas on the western and southern side of the football ground. NOTE: we do not have access to the paddock opposite the footy ground for parking this year.
- Parking in these areas will be charged at $3 on entry – please HAVE EXACT CHANGE READY when you arrive to speed up the parking process. (Money raised goes to the Forrest Football Club).
- We encourage riders to park in the Forrest township rather than at the footy ground and ride your bikes along the rail trail to the football ground. We will look after your warm clothing and ‘extra stuff’ while you race.
- The Birregurra – Forrest Road will be closed between Forrest and Barwon Downs to all north bound cars between 6:45am – 7:00am and closed to cars in both directions between 7:00am and 7:30am. These road closures may impact 100km riders who are running late so all 100km riders are encouraged to be at the Forrest Football Ground by 6:30am. These road closures may also impact 50km riders driving to the ground just before the start so we recommend either arriving at the footy ground before 7:00am or driving along the Colac - Forrest Road to access the footy ground.
- The Colac – Forrest Road will remain open all day and is another recommended driving route.
- NO PARKING is permitted on Yaugher Rd between Birregurra Rd and Forrest. Please do NOT park on the roadside as this places everyone’s safety at risk.
COMPETITOR REGISTRATION AND SPONSORS EXPO ON SATURDAY
- All riders for each of the 3 events must collect their number plate before the start of their event (unless you paid the extra $5 number plate postage fee when entering to have your plate posted out. Refer notes below).
- NOTE: you can arrange for a friend to collect your number plate for you.
- Any riders under 18 years of age must have a parent or guardian sign an indemnity form when collecting number plates.
All 100km and 50km riders must register on Saturday between 2:00pm and 6:00pm at the Forrest Football Ground. Late registration for 50km and 100km riders on Sunday morning is ONLY AVAILABLE by prior arrangement directly with the Rapid Ascent office (03 5261 5511). Giant Pioneer 15km riders can also register on Saturday afternoon or on Sunday between 12:30pm and 2:00pm at the Race Administration marquee.
Registartion is open during the times listed in the schedule above, and we will give you:
- Number plate. Please note the following about your number plate:
- It will have your unique timing chip stuck to the back of it (these chips are disposable – we don’t need them back after your ride).
- Attach your number plate to the front of your handlebars with cable ties in front of all brake / gear cables so that it has an unobstructed view from the front. Number plates cannot be trimmed or altered in any way.
- Plates will be colour coded as per the images to the right. Note: The current age group leaders of the Maverick Marathon Series will have a yellow # plate
- Event t-shirt. All entrants will receive a free event t-shirt
If you paid the extra $5 number plate postage fee when entering:
- Your number plate will be posted on Tuesday 15th April to the address you listed.
- If you paid the postage fee and have not received your plate by Thursday April 24th then please contact the Rapid Ascent office on (03) 5261 5511 or e-mail Claire@rapidascent.com.au
- You still need to come to the registration marquee before 2:00pm on Sunday to collect your t-shirt (these will not be posted). We cannot guarantee we will have your size if you come after 2:00pm Sunday.
- DON’T FORGET TO BRING YOUR NUMBER PLATE with you to the race!
SPONSORS EXPO AND FOOD ON SATURDAY
There will be quite a bit going on at the Forrest Football Ground throughout Saturday afternoon during registration:
- Giant will have a full size range of Anthem 27.5 1 models availabe for people to test ride on Saturday afternoon on the trails around the footy ground (bikes will not be available Sunday).
- Giant Hampton will have a bike shop set up with plenty of last minute items to purchase + some great specials.
- A number of sponsors will be set up and open for business so make sure you check out their stands on Saturday before you are too knackered after the race on Sunday
To help you have a hassle-free time at the Giant Odyssey we will be providing the following services to competitors.
We are happy to look after a bag of clothing whilst you are out racing so you have some clean clothes to get changed into after the race. All clothing must be in a single bag, with name, race number and telephone number clearly marked and must be dropped off at the race registration marquee on the Forrest Football Ground before your race. Clothing will be available for collection from the same spot upon presentation of your race number plate anytime on Sunday
Hydration and nutrition drop offs
100km & 50km riders:
You can pre-place your own hydration / nutrition alongside the race chute in the football ground ready for you to collect during the race. Hydration / nutrition must be dropped off as follows:
- Must be placed in number order according to the numbered signs (so it is easier for you to find it!).
- Is limited to a water bottle or two and some food in a small bag only – no deck chairs, eskies, umbrellas or kitchen sinks (we’ve seen all these before!).
- Do not dislodge or move anyone else’s gear as they also need to find theirs when they come past on their bikes.
For 100km riders ONLY:
We will transport your pre-prepared race food and drinks from the Forrest Football Ground to the water point at the 85km point at the top of West Barwon Dam Access Rd (There will be water drums and Shotz tablets to fill up your own bottles at this location as well).
Hydration / Nutrition drinks and food to be transported must have your race number clearly written on the top for easy identification, and must then be in a single bag (that is separate from clothing bag) and must be handed in to the Race Admin marquee during the hours of registration (4:00pm-9:00pm) on Friday night. We will transfer them to the water point and lay them out in consecutive number order next to the race track. It is your responsibility to find your bag / bottles.
On site bike shop and mobile mechanics
The Giant Hampton Bike Shop will be set up on the footy ground and will be fully equipped to look after any mechanical issues you experience out on course, with 2 mechanics and a full range of spare parts at the ready. They will be set up on Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday during the race to help you if needed. All work will be charged at a reasonable rate.
Mechanical assistance can be provided to riders only whilst you are on the playing surface of the footy ground, so if you have a mechanical out on course then walk/roll/run your bike back to the ground and you can receive help there.
Showers at the Forrest Festival
To make it more comfortable for you to hang out at the Forrest Festival after the race, we will be providing shower facilities at the finish line. Showers will be free, but we ask you to be Water Wise as the water is transported to Forrest and we want it to last for everyone.
Bike Wash - Small change for a great cause!
If you’d like to wash away the pain, mud, sweat and tears from your bike at this year’s Giant Odyssey, and donate some change to a good cause, please visit the bike wash situated next to the mobile shower truck. For just $5 you’ll be supporting the local Scout / Venturer Unit whilst getting your ride pampered and cleaned beyond recognition as part of their first class bike wash service.
Ki Health are providing remedial massage therapy and corrective exercise advice for all riders! Get your aches and pains sorted, while learning training methods to improve your biomechanics and ride even faster - www.kihealth.com.au
AcuPro® are launching the ultimate exercise accessory - The Acumat® is a dynamic exercise mat that stimulates circulation while removing trigger points or knots from tight and tired muscles! Come and try it yourself to recover faster and improve performance - www.acupro.com.au - ph: 1300-ACUMAT
11/4 update: The EVENT PROGRAM for the Giant Odyssey can be downloaded from here. This is essential reading for all competitors as it includes all the final event information for the event. (16meg)